Australian Charity of the Month – foodwatershelter
~ August 2018
The idea of creating an eco-friendly children’s village providing education, health and social facilities for vulnerable women and orphaned children was envisioned in 2005. In 2007, as the foodwatershelter (fws) pilot project, Kesho Leo Children’s Village became a reality. A decade on, fws has one last project to complete to meet their set goal and fulfill their aim.
In 2007, FoodWaterShelter identified eight Tanzanian women from the local community to become the caregivers of orphans and vulnerable children housed at Kesho Leo for 10-years. FoodWaterShelter’s goal was to provide these women (mamas) long-term opportunities while they cared for children. In addition to education opportunities and a salary, part of fws’s commitment to these women was to contribute 85% of the cost of a small house, so that when they moved back to the community they and their families had stable accommodation and a more secure future. The other 15% of the house costs have been saved by the women over the years.
Foodwatershelter has one last house to build to complete their commitment. Foodwatershelter needs to raise $7700 of the $9,000 needed to build the final three-room house for Bibi (Grandmother) Frankie.
Bibi Frankie was one of the original mamas to join Kesho Leo in 2007. She is a matriarch of the community and grandmother of two boys whose parents had passed. The house they have committed to build Bibi will be the only house she has ever owned and will ultimately be inherited by her grandsons. The houses that the mamas and FoodWaterShelter are building together are modest by Western standards, but with three rooms they offer security, stability and opportunities for Bibi and her grandsons.
$10 buys fws one of the 100 bags of cement needed in Bibi’s house, or $500 can provide all the windows. If you would like to make a tax-deductible donation, visit the foodwatershelter profile for the fws website link to donate through their Rotary partner website.
Every dollar raised, no matter how big or small can have a huge impact on Bibi’s future. By being mindful of the choices we make and the opportunities we are provided to make a difference, we can help fws fulfill their commitment and provide a safe and stable future for Bibi and her grandsons.
Shop it Forward is one of those opportunities. If you don’t have extra money to donate or would like to contribute more, consider how your first time online shop at Woolworths could provide 1 of the 100 bags of cement fws needs. Woolworths is just 1 of over 500 retailers committed to contributing a portion of the money you spend online when you make the choice to Shop it Forward. Every purchase you make could be raising money for fws and Bibi or another cause of your choice. Start Shopping it Forward today and make a difference!